Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Talking Whoopie...pies!

    
     I encourage my kids to help in the kitchen and learn how to cook.  I think all 3 of my children have potential to cook.  My oldest, Tyra, makes the best biscuits in the morning.  And my youngest, Terri, has the best taste buds and will tell you when something is good or not-so-good.  Now, my middle child, Selena, makes the best Whoopie pies ever!  So, today I will share our recipe for Chocolate Whoopie Pies with Vanilla buttercream frosting.  I encourage you to make some with your children or just make some yourself...

     Chocolate Whoopie Pies:
(yields about 10-15 small whoopie pies)
  • 2 cups All Purpose Flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 6 tbsp butter, melted
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp salt
     Preheat oven at 350 F.  Combine all dry ingredients.  Stir in melted butter, egg, vanilla, milk, salt until smooth.  Drop by tablespoons on cookie sheets.  Bake 12-14 minutes until puffy.  Allow to cool completely prior to filling.  With 2 whoopie pies the same size, put about 1-2 tbsp of buttercream frosting in middle of 1st pie.  Place 2nd whoopie pie on top and roll the middle section in desired topping like sprinkles, peanuts, chocolate chips, etc. 

Buttercream Frosting:
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar
     Whisk butter until smooth and creamy.  Add vanilla until combined.  Add confectioners' sugar 1 cup at a time until well incorporated.  Add 1 tbsp of milk if frosting is too thick.  Whisk on high speed for about 2 minutes until frosting is smooth and fluffy.

Chocolate Whoopie Pie courtesy of Selena Powell

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment