Monday, November 21, 2011

My Book Signing...

     Saturday I woke up with thoughts of my first book signing event.  I have personally never done anything like this in my life.  I thought to myself...this is going to be AMAZING!  I had my hair done the day before...thanks to my fabulous hairdresser, Shaunita at Just Fabulous, decided to wear something pink...since I think it would look good in pictures, and actually put on more makeup than I ever have...foundation and all!  My kids were even excited...not as excited as me!  And then Saturday arrived, time for the book signing...
Okay...so it is not my own book

     We arrived at Barnes and Noble bookstore at the Tysons Corner Mall in McLean, VA around 12 noon, paid for my copy of newly released The Cupcake Diaries  by Katherine Kallinis and Sophie Kallinis LaMontagne and got my number for the book signing...#45.  In my mind, I knew this was going to be a good day.  The book signing started at 2 pm, but everyone was coming to buy the book and get their number.  At one point, all the books were gone!  I was so happy that I had reserved my copy way ahead of this day.  The TLC's DC Cupcake ladies arrived just a tad bit late but everyone was excited to see them, plus, they had cupcakes!  They were super friendly and eager to answer questions from the audience. 

I was even able to ask the two ladies a question..."What are your favorite cupcake flavors?"  Sophie said her favorite flavor is the "Salted Caramel cupcake" and Katherine replied her favorite was the "Chocolate Hazelnut cupcake".  Hey...did I just ask a question and did they just look at me and answer?  Yep...how cool!
After  the question session was over, it was time for the book signing and pictures ... and of course, Cupcakes!  The event was well organized and people lined up without any problems.  While in line, I wandered around a bit and guess who I found?  i found Sophie and Katherine's mother in the bookstore.  She was very kind to take a picture with me and sign her picture in the book!  I mean, this is the woman who gave birth to them, right, and to me, she is just as important...right?  And by the way, her favorite cupcake is the Blueberry cupcake. 

     So, it didn't take very long before we were face-to-face with the DC Cupcake Ladies.  I told them how the first time I went to Georgetown Cupcakes, my husband ate the Salted Caramel Cupcake before I could taste it.  But today was my lucky day...they bought Salted Caramel Cupcakes today!  I took my pictures and got my cupcake!  And it was delicious!

   

     The people in the crowd were funny and quite entertaining.  Some wanted to hear the ladies speak and answer questions while others just wanted their books signed.  I overheard one young girl say. "Hey, I just saw those two ladies in the bathroom!"  i guess she didn't realize it was Katherine and Sophie.  One lady I chatted with a bit had 5 books in one hand and an adorable little redhead girl named Sophie Rose in the other hand.  She had planned to sent the books to her family, but I did notice that she did not have a camera.  So, being that I always try to do one good deed a day, I asked her if she wanted me to take a picture and email it to her. I would think she would want something to remember this moment...so, I took pictures for her and yes, I did email them to her.  Good deed for the day...done!

     Some people would ask me "Why would you want to stand in line and wait for just a signature?"  I would respond and say, "Why would anyone want to get up at 2 am on Black Friday and stand in line for DVD player or a TV or Whatever?"  The answer would probably be the same..."It's for the thrill!" and it was worth it.  Another cupcake book for my cupcake library.

Sweet Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment