Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Not Just Cupcakes!

When I started this blog, I intended to discuss cupcakes.  But then, I did not want to limit my blog to just cupcakes since I don't just bake, but I can also "throw down in the kitchen"!  So, my readers can expect not only to read about cupcakes and all things "Frosted" as the name of this blog suggest, but can look forward to other recipes. 

My daughter, Tyra, came home with a recipe for biscuits that she made in her home economics class.  I have struggled with making homemade biscuits for the longest time.  I can make yeast rolls which I learned from my mother, but not biscuits.  Until one day, Tyra made biscuits for breakfast.  She cut the shortening into the flour, kneaded the dough, rolled it out, and cut the biscuits into perfect circles.  I was impressed.  The biscuits rose to perfection as they waited to be put in the oven.  The end result...we enjoyed the best tasting biscuits that were flaky and darn right Delicious!  Some of us just put butter on them, others put raspberry or strawberry jam on them, while my husband and I put some homemade honey from BeeCause ( I received this honey as a gift from one of my clients who, yes, has a bee farm ) all over the top of our buttery biscuits.  I must brag...I have a biscuit maker in the family! 

Here's goes Tyra's recipe and go figure...it is not a cupcake recipe!

Biscuits:
(makes 12-16 biscuits)

  • 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 2/3 cups milk
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
  2. Measure and sift dry ingredients together.  (Sift flour before measuring)
  3. Cut shortening into dry ingredients with a pastry blender or two knives until it looks like bread crumbs.
  4. Make a well and add all the milk at once.  Stir with a fork until the dough follows the fork around the bowl. 
  5. Knead biscuits on a floured countertop about 25 times.
  6. Pat out dough about 1/2 inch thick.
  7. Cut out with a floured biscuit cutter or small glass.
  8. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes.
  9. Brush with melted butter. 
I hope you enjoy this Not-A-Cupcake recipe from my kitchen to yours...

No comments:

Post a Comment