Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Salty Sweet Craving

I was listening to the rain outside as I enjoyed my coffee this morning.  I got to thinking about none other than cupcakes.  I always like good old vanilla with vanilla frosting or even a chocolate cupcake with vanilla frosting as well.  But my taste buds wanted something different.  They wanted to be taken to a higher, more sophisticated level of taste.  I wanted to taste something that I would never think of tasting.  My mind went back to when I was a little girl and would go to the church functions with my parents.  I remember the little old ladies in church would bring homemade cakes such as coconut, chocolate and even caramel.  Yes, that's it!  Caramel!  I decided to make salted caramel cupcakes today and make my taste buds happy.  I ended up making Salted Caramel Cupcakes to give that salty/sweet appeal like eating chocolate covered pretzels.  You get that subtle hint of salt but the sweetness from the caramel balances all the flavors out perfectly.  So, with that said, I share the recipe I came up with today.  Enjoy!

Salted Caramel Cupcakes: (makes 12 cupcakes)

1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup + 2 tbsp brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp caramel sauce (recipe to follow)

  Combine flour, baking powder, salt in separate bowl.  Cream butter and brown sugar until smooth.  Add vanilla then add eggs one at a time until well incorporated.  Add dry ingredients in 3 batches alternating with buttermilk and caramel sauce, ending with dry ingredients.  Line 12 cup muffin pan with cupcake liners and fill each cup with batter.  Bake about 13-15 minutes at 350 F.  Remove and allow to cool completely on wire cooling rack. 

Caramel Sauce: Check out recipe and great pictures to make sauce here.

Caramel Buttercream Frosting:

16 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup caramel sauce plus extra for drizzling
4 cups confectioners sugar, sifted

Combine all ingredients in a bowl of a stand mixer or use a handheld electric mixer until light and fluffy.  Frost each cupcake and drizzle with extra caramel sauce.

The way I see it, challenge yourself and explore new taste like Salted Caramel Cupcakes...your taste buds will thank you!
I know mine did!
Salted Caramel Cupcakes

Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment